Popular YouTuber MrBeast took to Twitter to reveal that he was invited to join the OceanGate Titanic submersible trip that ended in tragedy.
“I was invited earlier this month to ride the titanic submarine, I said no. Kind of scary that I could have been on it,” the 25-year-old wrote on Sunday.
It’s unclear who MrBeast was in contact with about potentially joining the trip.
Contact with the submersible was lost on Sunday, June 18. It wasn’t until Thursday that OceanGate, the company that operated the sub, released a statement saying that the five people aboard the vessel were believed to be dead.
“We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost,” OceanGate said on Thursday. “These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans. Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew.”Speaking to ABC News, Titanic director James Cameronsaid he was “struck by the similarity of the Titanic disaster itself, where the captain was repeatedly warned about ice ahead of his ship, and yet he steamed at full speed into an ice field on a moonless night and many people died as a result.”